Prof. Xiaoping Hong 洪小平
Assistant Professor, SUSTech
Director, DJI-SUSTech Joint Lab
Dr. Hong focuses on interdisciplinary research ranging from robotic systems, sensing, optics, opto-electronics and materials. Trained as an experimental physicist specializing in optics and solid state physics, he obtained his PhD from UC Berkeley, where he built state-of-the-art instruments to probe optoelectronic properties of nanomaterials. He joined Honeywell in 2014 as a senior research scientist, researching on various advanced sensing technology including photon ionization detection (PID), infrared sensors and biometric sensors. In 2016, he joined DJI and led the research and development of lidars and other optical sensors in DJI. He is now a consulting fellow at DJI Research.
In physics, Dr. Hong published 16 journal publications, many of them as first (equal) author in Science, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Photonics, PRL etc., with a total citation exceeding 3000 times from Google Scholar. In DJI, Dr. Hong has filed hundreds international patent (PCT) applications. Currently Dr. Hong is interested in novel sensor design, robotic vision and hearing, and their applications.
In 2019, Dr. Hong joined SDIM as an assistant professor. SDIM is a new school in SUSTech featuring student-centered education, project-based learning and interdisciplinary research. Contact Dr. Hong at
POSTDOCS AND RESEARCH ASSISTANTS
FORMER GROUP MEMBERS
- Mr. Chunran Zheng, Research Assistant 2020, now a PhD student at HKU.
- Mr. Licheng Liang, Engineering Master, 2021, now at Mindray.
- Ms. Yu Zhou, Engineering Master, 2021, now at OPPO.
- Mr. Yuewen Zhu, Engineering Master, 2021, will pursue a PhD degree at Purdue University.
- Mr. Ti Peng, PhD 2021 (Postponed), now founder of a startup.
- Mr. Liang Wang, Academic Master, 2022, will join TuSimple.
- Mr. Mingzhen Jia, Academic Master, 2022, will join ByteDance.
- Ms. Huixin Ju, Academic Master, 2022, will join Texas Instruments.
- Mr. Kenan Li, Academic Master, 2022, will pursue a PhD degree.